June 11, 2019, Santa Rosa, CA — The Santa Rosa Junior College (SRJC) Summer Repertory Theatre (SRT) festival has been a local favorite throughout Sonoma County since 1972. After a one-year hiatus due to renovations of Burbank Auditorium, SRT is back and will run shows from June 21 through August 10.
As Burbank Auditorium is still in the final stages of renovation and not quite ready to accommodate performances, three of the five shows will be held in a top-quality, semi-permanent performance pavilion, which will allow for 360-degree views of the stage in a theatre-in-the-round style. The two shows will be held in Newman Auditorium.
Shows will include:
- MAMMA MIA, June 21-August 10 in the SRT performance pavilion
- BONNIE & CLYDE, June 29-August 8 in the SRT performance pavilion
- PIPPIN, July 12-August 7 in the SRT performance pavilion
- SYLVIA, July 9-August 4 in Newman Auditorium
- THE 39 STEPS, June 25-July 31 in Newman Auditorium
SRJC President Frank Chong said that he is thrilled to bring SRT back this year. “SRT performances amaze audiences’ year-after-year. They’re Broadway quality shows that give the student performers real-world experience, all funded through a scholarship supported by ticket sales and donations.”
Students with ID: $25
Subscription packages are also available.
Since its inception, Summer Rep has performed over two hundred plays and musicals, including the North Bay premieres of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, The Talented Mr. Ripley, The Producers, The Wedding Singer, Dangerous Liaisons with Vampires and Hairspray. Over the years, Summer Rep has enrolled over 8,000 students who have received advanced training toward their professional goals in theatre. Among Summer Rep’s notable alumni are:
- Actor Benjamin Bratt – film and television star
- Grace Gealey – stars in the Fox comedy Empire
- Nick Rashad Burroughs – Debuted on Broadway in Kinky Boots
- Libby Apple - former Artistic Director of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival
- Peggy Gannon - former Artistic Director of A Contemporary Theatre (Seattle) and Sacramento Theatre Company
- Lexy Fridell – Broadway performer, currently starring in her own one-woman show.
- Thomas Schumacher – head of Disney Theatrical
- Michael T. Weiss – television actor and visual artist
Photo Credit: Tom Chown
Summer Rep electronic images available upon request, 707-527-4419 or firstname.lastname@example.org