The Public Relations (PR) Department offers professional centralized service for District communications to ensure a consistent look, feel and voice.
We offer the following services to help promote and support college programs, activities and events:
- Marketing, Publicity & Advertising: print, digital, broadcast radio, digital radio, and social media
- Press releases and public service announcements
- Graphic design for print and digital promotions
- Graphic design guidelines and standards, color and logo use
- Social media publicity, campaigns, paid advertising and consultation
- Photo services and access to photography archives
- Campaign coordination: quotes, schedules, budgets, requisitions, invoices, basic reporting as requested
- Website assistance such as photo suggestions, content, layout and URL, as needed
When requesting PR services please:
Submit your request 2 - 4 weeks before deadline.
Include budget code. Departments must have budget for printing, translation service, and paid advertising - including social media.
Indicate who is promoting, what is happening, where, when, and why this is relevant to our students.
Send digital images or request assistance with photography.
CAMPAIGN COORDINATION SERVICES
- Propose platforms, schedule, and budget
- Coordinate production of print ads, posters, brochures, rack cards and digital ads, displays
- Broadcast and/or Digital Radio
- 30-second English radio spot is approximately 70-75 words, 60-65 words for ads intended for Spanish translation
- Obtain quotes, input requisitions, process invoices and provide documentation and reporting
- Departments provide 5690 budget code and web URL for campaign
The PR department will assist in writing the Press Release, identifying and formatting images, distributing to media contacts, posting to PR website and News or Events on SRJC’s main webpage.
Please include the following information for optimal turnaround time:
- Contact name, phone and email
- One or two relevant and interesting quotes from different sources. These often determine publication.
- If available, one or two original, uncropped, horizontal, high-resolution images, 700 x 450 pixels minimum. For best print results, we recommend that images are at least 150 dpi but no more than 300 dpi. See SRJC Photo No-Nos
PHOTO & WEBSITE SERVICES
- Arrange photoshoots
- Provide access to photography
- Assist with photos for District websites
- Provide content for SRJC Homepage, including images, stories, news, and events
We recommend that all SRJC employees with photography needs work with a Public Relations photographer. Our professional experts have been vetted and approved by PR staff and the District.
Public Relations will help schedule photographers upon request and will cover the expense, as long as the following criteria apply:
- Public Relations has full rights to use and/or post any and all resulting images
- The event/photoshoot is run by SRJC and promotes the college and/or its mission
Public Relations reserves the right to seek reimbursement for any photoshoots or projects that require more than two hours of photography work.
To schedule a photoshoot, to request photos from a previous photoshoot, or to obtain photos from our photo archive, submit a PR Service Request Form or send your requests directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SRJC Photo No-Nos
- Blurry, low resolution or otherwise low quality images
- Awkward expressions or body placement
- Closed eyes
- Open mouths (unless performances)
- People eating (unless Culinary photos)
- Visible mid-drifts or wardrobe malfunctions
- Shirts with inappropriate logos
- Inappropriate hand signals
The Senior Designer provides digital files designed to comply with SRJC’s approved visual standards.
Formats include brochures, logos, posters, postcards, social media images, static video images, PowerPoint presentations, apparel art, package design, etc.
Files output to PDF or PNG; additional file formats are available
Always provide complete copy, proofread and approved before submitting. Content includes the text and images you wish to use in the final design. Word and character count are integral to the design layout.
Please include the following information when requesting a design:
- Size in pixels or inches
- Due date
- See SRJC Photo No-Nos
SOCIAL MEDIA PUBLICITY & CONSULTATION
To ensure optimal accessibility and performance, we do not post flyers or graphics containing embedded copy to social media or the SRJC website.
Institutions of higher education accessing federal funding must comply with federal legislation establishing equal access to information and online accessibility.
Adaptive technology cannot read or translate graphics with copy (common graphic file formats like .jpeg, .png, and .pdf). Additionally, images with writing on them do not perform well on social media and are not considered engaging social posts, hence the algorithms of each social media platform will not show them properly to the audience.
Lead times are 10-14 days ahead for social media posts
See SRJC Photo No-Nos
Always indicate who is promoting, what is happening, where, when and why this is relevant to our students.
Listed below are the most requested social media items and their requirements as of November 2020. When submitting information for a post, please include the following for optimal turnaround time:
- Link directing to SRJC website for more info
- Horizontal image of at least 1200 x 800 pixels. Uncropped, original preferred.
- Photo at 1,920 x 1,005 pixels. Originals preferred. Avoid text.
- Link to the SRJC website for more info.
Facebook / Instagram paid ad
- The copy will be edited to 90 characters
- Link to SRJC website for more info
Facebook page banner
- Horizontal image of at least 940 x 360 pixels. Uncropped, original preferred.
Facebook profile photo/logo
- These will be round cropped.
- Square photo of at least 15 x 150 pixels. Larger images preferred.
- Link to SRJC website for more info
- Horizontal photo of at least 1,024 x 512 pixels. Original preferred.
- Photos of at least 1,200 x 1,200 pixels
- For stories, photos should be 1,080 x 1,920 pixels or an aspect ratio of 9:16.
- NO LINKS ON INSTAGRAM
- Link to SRJC website
- Image of at least 1,200 x 628 pixels
Consultations and social media training are offered by request to program and department social media administrators by the Marketing & Social Media Coordinator for the district. Please make an appointment by emailing email@example.com.