FAQs for students

April 8, 2021. UPDATE

Preguntas frecuentes para estudiantes

Frequently Asked Questions for Students:

Working Remotely and Modifying Methods of Instruction at SRJC

*This is an ongoing situation and portions of these FAQs will be updated as circumstances change.



1. Is SRJC still operating remotely?
SRJC will continue to operate the SRJC instructional program and student services in a largely remote format in fall 2021, while also allowing an increase in the number of partially in-person courses and the addition of fully in-person courses as are safely possible given District constraints on human, financial, and facilities resources. 

2. Are events canceled?
SRJC will not be holding any mass gatherings on campus through the end of the fall 2021 semester. This includes 2021 Commencement, Celebrate CE, Fall Professional Development Activity Day, the President’s Address and the Petaluma Building Community Breakfast, all of which will be provided in an online format. More details will follow.

Spring sports have "opted-in" and plan to compete in the California Community College Athletic Association's 2021 season. The modified CCCAA competition season will begin April 10 for the following SRJC teams: baseball, softball, men's and women’s swimming and women's tennis. Men's and women's track & field and men's tennis have chosen to opt-out this season, but will return to competition along with all of SRJC's fall and winter sports in the 2021-2022 school year.

SRJC Athletics is complying with all state, county, city, CCCAA, and college district COVID-19 safety protocols and regulations. Please note that spectators will not be allowed to attend any home competitions this spring.


1. How will students continue classes and how will they be kept informed?
Instruction is currently being provided in a largely remote format through fall 2021. We will allow an increase in the number of partially in-person (hybrid) courses and the addition of some limited fully in-person courses where it is safe and advisable to do so.

Instructors will communicate with their students to provide information specific to their classes.  

2. Are student employees allowed to continue to work?
Yes, but only if they can do so remotely, or have approval from a vice president to work on-site.

There may be instances where student employees are not retained in one department and are hired by a different department; new student employees will be hired only as needed.

3. Are students allowed on campus?
Students are directed to remain off campus unless they have permission to access on site services or are enrolled in one of the very limited number of face-to-face classes.

4. Are free food distributions available for students?
Yes, SRJC is partnering with Redwood Empire Food Bank to provide free food distributions every first Monday through May. Food distributions are open to all, including students, employees and community members. All currently enrolled SRJC students will also receive a free $50 grocery card.
More information is available at this link.

5. Will students have the option to repeat a course attempted during spring 2021, summer 2021, or fall 2021? 
Yes. Due to the extenuating circumstance of COVID-19, students may repeat a course regardless of their grade earned in spring 2021, summer 2021, or fall 2021.  The college will disregard the previous grade and credit once the course has been repeated.  Documentation is not required and students must submit the Petition for Course Repetition

6. Will students have the option to change from a letter grade to a pass/no pass option for the spring 2021 semester?
Yes - Many of our courses allow students to receive a letter grade or a Pass/No Pass grade. Students who are currently enrolled in courses that allow for both options can switch to Pass/No Pass until the end of the spring 2021, summer 2021, and fall 2021 semesters. It is highly recommended for students to talk to a counselor before opting to switch to Pass/No Pass, since it will not necessarily be the best option for all students and could impact academic progress and/or the ability to transfer.  If you have any questions about Pass/No Pass please contact Debbie Riedmuller in Admissions and Records at driedmuller@santarosa.edu. Please visit the Transfer Center’s website for up-to-date information.

Academic probation, dismissal, and financial aid- No Pass (NP) grades received during this semester will not affect the calculation of a student’s academic probation or dismissal status throughout a student’s lifetime enrollment at SRJC. However, the federal government still considers an “NP” as a failing grade. At this moment, NPs will affect students’ academic progress (SAP) for purposes of federal financial aid eligibility on Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), and student direct loans.

Students working toward transferring to a four-year university should consult with an SRJC counselor prior to opting to take a class for Pass/No Pass.

7. Did the college remove limits on the number of Pass/No Pass units students could take?
Pass/No Pass limits are currently waived due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Board suspended procedure 3.10P, section 1.A, in order to temporarily remove the Pass/No Pass limits of 3 units per semester and the maximum of 12 units for all semesters.  This suspension will continue through the spring 2021, summer 2021, and fall 2021 semesters and will remain as long as the state of emergency is in place.  Students may choose the Pass/No Pass option for any courses that allow it and will not be penalized with degree or certificate requirements.

8. Will students be allowed to drop courses if they are not able to continue their studies spring 2021, summer 2021, or fall 2021 semesters?         
The state Chancellor’s Office confirmed that students will be allowed to withdraw from classes due to the current COVID situation with an Excused Withdrawal (EW) symbol on their academic records.  Students will be required to submit the Drop/Withdraw Petition in order to withdraw with an EW after the deadline to drop without a W.  No automatic refunds will be issued with an EW symbol.  Students should view their class schedule for specific drop deadline for each course. Students receiving financial aid should consult with the financial aid office to understand implications to their student aid before dropping a course. 

9. Where can I find the summer and fall 2021 class schedules?
You can access the summer and fall 2021 class schedules here.

Information about priority registration can be found at this page.

10. Will there be emergency funding available to students who need it to continue with their education?
SRJC has received several federal Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) allocations to be provided directly as emergency aid to students. Eligible students will receive emergency grants ranging from $1,000 to $2,500, depending on a variety of factors including whether or not the student has dependents and/or are Pell grant recipients. Students who qualify for SRJC Crisis Response funds, may be eligible for awards of $500, while funding lasts.

These funds are intended to help cover COVID-19 school-related expenses for students in need. Eligible expenses include course materials, technology, housing, food, health care (including mental health care) and childcare.

In consultation with the Student Government Assembly (SGA), we developed the following minimum student eligibility criteria for distribution of these funds. To receive an emergency grant, eligible students must:

  • Have expenses related to the coronavirus crisis
  • Be enrolled in a minimum of three units or non-credit courses for the spring 2021 semester. 

It is our goal to provide emergency grants to as many students as possible regardless of their residency status. By utilizing the federal HEERF funds as well as the SRJC Foundation Crisis Response Fund and state funding, we have established two different emergency grant applications that will provide support to as many students as possible.

Please visit this page to learn more about the grant options available to students.

11. Do I need to purchase a parking permit?
No, students are not required to purchase a parking permit for summer or fall 2021. If you are enrolled in an on-campus course, a parking permit will be mailed to you.

12. What if students need laptops or hotspots to continue their education?
Students interested in participating in the laptop and hotspot loan program please visit our library request website for details on how to reserve a laptop, hotspot, or calculator for the semester. Supply is limited, but laptops are returned regularly so please be patient while we continually turn over and acquire new inventory.

If you need technology assistance please contact the Welcome & Connect Center

Returning students who need to renew their laptop loan should contact Doyle Library at 707-527-4550 or by email at guser310@santarosa.edu.

Students who are not currently enrolled in classes will need to return their laptops and hotspots. The data plans for the hotspots will be suspended if they are not returned by January 25, 2021.

13. Where can students find resources for learning, teaching and working remotely?
Note that faculty members are making different choices about the remote methods they will use to complete the semester. While many will use Canvas and other common online teaching methods, many will choose instead to provide instruction and student services, send assignments, and collect student work in other ways—for example, email, phone conferences, and in some cases through the US Postal Service. Faculty decisions depend on a number of factors, including the subject matter of the course, whether faculty members have technological resources at home, and students’ access to and comfort with technology and the Internet. Much of the information cited below pertains primarily to Canvas and other online teaching methods.

Students can find information about remote resources at santarosa.edu/srjc-remote-resources.

Remote online student services are available at onlinestudentservices.santarosa.edu.

The Welcome and Connect Center is remotely open and staff members are working online to help students get connected with remote learning technology. Students can text 888-343-4038, call 707-527-4410 or email firstyearpeercoach@santarosa.edu to ask questions or set up a virtual appointment.

14. Is there any guidance available for students who would like to sell their books back to the bookstore or return rented textbooks?
Students can visit this link if they would like directions on how to sell their books back or return rented books 

15. How will students be able to access Microsoft Software to work from remotely?
Any student who is currently enrolled at SRJC is eligible to sign up for a free Bear Cub Office365 account, which will provide access to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other Microsoft tools.  Please visit this link for instructions on how to sign up. If you need technology assistance please contact the Welcome & Connect Center

16. Where can students get help accessing or navigating campus technology?
The Welcome & Connect Center invites all students to reach out for help connecting with Canvas, Zoom, MS Teams, the free versions of Microsoft 360 or any other platform that they may encounter in their new learning environment.

Contact information:
Phone: 707-527-4410
Text: 888-343-4038
Email: firstyearpeercoach@santarosa.edu
Via the MySRJCApp

17. Are there any resources available for students who do not have internet at home?
You can find a list of affordable internet available to students here



1. Where can I find information on the District’s COVID-19 Prevention Plan?
All District COVID-19 protocols and prevention plans can be found at Coronavirus Information | Santa Rosa Junior College

2. What should I do if I believe I may have come into direct contact with coronavirus?
In order to protect our community, we advise you to self-quarantine until you have been cleared by your primary care physician or the Sonoma County Department of Health Services

3. What if I show symptoms of respiratory infection but don’t suspect any contact with coronavirus?
Stay home until you have been free of a fever for 24 hours and contact your primary care physician or the Student Health Center.

4. Are students required to wear facial coverings if on campus?
In order to comply with the orders from the State of California and the Sonoma County Health Officer, any student who has been allowed on campus is required to wear a facial covering when:

  • Inside of, or in line to enter, any indoor public space
  • Waiting for, or riding on, public transportation or paratransit or while in a taxi, private car service, or ride-sharing vehicle
  • Engaged in work, whether at the workplace or performing work off-site, when:
    • Interacting in-person with any member of the public
    • Working in any space visited by members of the public, regardless of whether anyone from the public is present at the time
    • Working in any space where food is prepared or packaged for sale or distribution to others
    • Working in or walking through common areas, such as hallways, stairways, elevators, and parking facilities
    • In any enclosed area where other people are present
  • While outdoors in public spaces when unable to maintain a physical distance of six feet from other persons

Facial coverings can be made of cloth, fabric, or other soft or permeable material, including scarves, t-shirt materials or other fabrics without holes, that covers only the nose and mouth and surrounding areas of the lower face. 

Individuals exempt from wearing a face covering include, but not limited to, persons with a medical condition, mental health condition, or disability that prevents wearing a face covering, and persons who are hearing impaired, or communicating with a person who is hearing impaired, where the ability to see the mouth is essential for communication.

5. What other personal prevention efforts does the district encourage?
You can find a full list of prevention recommendations at the Student Health Services page

Some recommendations include:

  • Hand washing (for a minimum of 20 seconds)
  • Covering coughs and sneezes with a tissue or sleeve
  • Not touching your face
  • Staying home as much as possible
  • Avoiding travel
  • Social distancing (no handshakes, using Zoom for meetings)
  • If you must be in an area with other people, maintaining six feet of personal space between individuals and remaining outside whenever possible.

6. Are Student Health Services/Student Psychological Services available remotely or in-person?
Both physical and mental health appointments are available via secure Zoom as they are now. A limited number of in-person appointments are also available, with the amounts dependent on current health and safety conditions.  To make either type of  appointment, students can call 707 527-4445 or email. There is also substantial online information about physical and mental health issues, including screenings and resources, on the SHS website.

Situations like this can create anxiety for many. Individuals who feel they may benefit from additional counseling may contact the following resource:

Students may access additional support here, and may also utilize the Employee Assistance Plan, by using company code ‘EAP can help’

Students can also call Student Health Services at 707-527-4445.