April 25, 2018 – The Santa Rosa Junior College (SRJC) Career & Technical Education (CTE) Department is hosting the third annual "Celebrate CTE," to honor students who complete their career certificates during the 2017-2018 academic year. The event will take place on Friday, May 25, 2018 at 5:00 ,p.m., on SRJC’s Santa Rosa campus.
The event will feature motivational speaker Duane Spires. Spires has spoken across the nation and is best known for his high-energy presentations that help audiences to overcome their fears, take action towards their goals, and create the lives that they love. The winner of the 2011 Empact 100 award for top young U.S. entrepreneurs, Spires was recognized for his accomplishments at the White House, and has been featured on FOX, ABC and Inc.com.
The 2018 CTE Industry Champion Award recipient is Keysight. The award is given in recognition of contributions to the improvement, progress and advancement of CTE programs and students at Santa Rosa Junior College. Past recipients were Kaiser Permanente (2017) and CTE Foundation founder Tony Crabb (2016).
“This celebration acknowledges the hard work that our CTE students have done to accomplish their educational goals,” said Jerry Miller, Senior Dean of CTE and Economic Development at SRJC. “For years, SRJC has offered programs that lead to high-wage, high-demand jobs. We are as committed as ever to offering the best education and training that meets the needs of industry,” Miller said. He encouraged the local community to “help rebuild your community, enroll now!” At SRJC, over 50% of students are currently enrolled in CTE courses.
Student Success Story
Hermes Adje, a citizen of Côte d’Ivoire, received his Adobe Application Specialist certification at SRJC during the 2016-17 academic year. "Attending the Celebrate 2017 event was the highlight of my time at SRJC, a really fun and happy event," Adje said. Another happy event for Adje was that, directly after the conclusion of the program, he was hired by the Cote d’Ivoire embassy to create marketing pieces.
SRJC has over 150 CTE programs and departments including:
· Agriculture and Natural Resources
· Applied Technology and Engineering
· Business Administration
· Child Development
· Communications Studies
· Computer Studies
· Culinary Arts
· Fitness, Nutrition & Health
· Health Sciences
· Industrial Trade Technology
· Public Safety/Administration of Justice
· Theatre Arts
· Work Experience
More information about the event can be found at https://cte.santarosa.edu/celebrate-cte.
Additional Information about SRJC and California Career & Technical Education Certificate Programs
- SRJC awards approximately 3,900 certificates annually, the second highest number of certificates among community colleges in California.
- Students who complete a CTE certificate in a California community college nearly double their pre-certificate earnings after five years in the workforce.
- 44% of students who achieve a certificate earn $56,000 or more annually five years after completing their certificate
- 24% of those who complete a certificate earn $79,000 or more annually five years after completing their certificate.