March 12, 2018 – Santa Rosa Junior College (SRJC) Theatre Arts students recently won several awards at the prestigious Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival (KCACTF) Region VII, held this year in Spokane, Washington in February. The KCACTF is an annual national theater program involving 20,000 students from over 700 colleges and universities. Since its founding in 1969, the festival has served to improve the quality of college and university theater in America and to recognize and celebrate the country’s finest and most diverse college and university theater productions.
Twenty-seven SRJC Theatre Arts students plus SRJC faculty members Leslie McCauley and Maryanne Scozzari SRJC faculty participated in the Region VII festival. Colleges and universities from Northern California, Oregon, Washington, Montana, Idaho, Northern Nevada, Wyoming and Colorado participated in a variety of activities, including workshops, symposia, and regional-level award programs.
SRJC was honored with several awards at the KCACTF Region VII, where they competed against two-year, four-year, and MFA students in acting, design and stage management competitions.
- Jeannie Terrell: Regional Award for Allied Arts for hair and makeup design for The Little Mermaid
- Fiona Sharkey: Regional Award for Sound Design for It Can’t Happen Here
- Ariel Allen: Meritorious Award for Costume Design for It Can’t Happen Here
- Joseph Stommel: Meritorious Award for Stage Management for The Little Mermaid
- Caitlyn Clark: Award for fastest Costume Quick Change in the Technical Theatre Olympics
- Roberto Perez Kempton was cast in the student written 10-Minute Play Festival
Actors from the SRJC Theatre Arts production of It Can’t Happen Here and The Little Mermaid were nominated for the Irene Ryan Acting Scholarship Competition. Nominees included Roberto Perez Kempton, Victor McAllister-Montez, Samantha Bohlke-Slater, Brett Mollard and Elijah Pinkham and their scene partners Emma Le Fever, Jenna Rechsteiner, Dylan Kupper, Neil Thollander and Ellora Gordon.
More information on the SRJC Theatre Arts Department is available at theatrearts.santarosa.edu.